Friday, June 8, 2012

Amazing finds in Zone 3



This morning it was a pinch-yourself-it's-so-pretty kind of morning at Wrightsville Beach. The water was clear and glassy, and there was a slight breeze in the air. Just perfect!


Today was my fourth week of picking up litter in Zone 3, and I can say with certainty that so far, this zone is a lot cleaner than it was last year. This morning I picked up half of my reusable bag, which is equal to 2 plastic grocery bags, of litter. Trash included 1 water shoe, 1 sandal, 1 kevlar glove, several cigarette butts, 9 straws, several broken sand toys, a pair of women's underwear, 3 Rita's cups, assorted plastic cutlery, and an almost empty bottle of sunscreen. Recyclables/reusables included one cotton sun hat, 4 plastic water/Poweraid bottles, one beer bottle, and 4 sand shovels. I also found dog prints but no dog.



Last year, I often found trash underneath Johnnie Mercer's Pier, sometimes in great amounts. This morning, there was no trash at all underneath or around the pier. I was very happy about this!





Today was also an utterly fantastic day for shell and sea glass hunting. I did one full round in my zone, then backtracked for a bit to hunt for treasure. I found several nice pieces of sea glass... and get this... an amazing shark's tooth! I have done a bit of research online, and I believe that this tooth is that of the Carcharodon carcharias, or white shark, and could be about 1.8 million years old! How totally incredible is that? I feel so very fortunate for this amazing gift that the ocean offered me today.


Peace,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment