Monday, May 20, 2013

Friday, May 17, Zone 0


Friday, May 13 was my first day of monitoring zone 0, which is from Shell Island Resort north to the end of the inlet. For the past several years, I have been walking in zone 3, which includes Johnnie Mercer's Pier, and the scene on the less-frequented north end is quite different. It was a beautiful morning, and I picked up what was probably my smallest batch of litter ever.


The items I found included:
3 plastic cups (all of which were right in front of Shell Island resort)
3 plastic straws
1 handle from a plastic shovel
1 pair of sunglasses
1 candy bar wrapper
1 maxi pad
an assortment of indistinguishable bits of plastic
2 cigarette butts

Needless to say, these pieces of trash hardly even covered the bottom of my large reusable trash bag!

I enjoyed observing the nesting sea birds in the area, as well as some very interesting patterns in the sand.




Peace,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment