Thursday, June 18, 2015

3 sweeps in zone 4

Monday, June 8, 2015

We had a very pleasant patrol morning.  It was not as hot and muggy as last week and the noseeums seemed to absent, which is always a good thing.


So glad Wrightsville Beach is a non-smoking beach.  Since this ordinance was passed, we find much less cigarette and tobacco related litter on our beach.  The signs are nice too.  Kids can teach us a lot.


We had some interesting trash finds this morning; not the least of which was the bottom of a fiberglass boat.  It did not have any sea life attached, so we assume it had not been in the ocean very long before washing ashore.  We did carry it to the trash can so that the town workers can dispose of it properly.  It was heavier than I thought!




We also found this coconut that had sea life attached.  Wonder from where it traveled?  This is a first in my beach sweeping experience.

But perhaps my favorite find of the day was when we were approaching the end of the walk and something caught my eye in the soft sand.  I said, "What is that?" and walked up to investigate.  I'm glad I did because it was a sea turtle who needed to be rescued!  :-)


Total items in our litter bags include:
15 cigarette butts
39 food wrappers and packaging
5 plastic bottle caps
2 metal bottle caps
2 plastic lids
13 straws/stirrers
2 plastic cutlery
2 plastic bottles
1 glass bottle (non-beverage_
1 plastic grocery bag
2 plastic cups
2 foam cups
3 pieces of rope
4 balloons
1 cigarette lighter
3 strapping bands
1 cigarette package 
1 tampon which I picked up with a stick!
4 articles of clothing
12 toys
1 hair bow
11 pieces of paper
1 wet one
1 clothes pin
1 fiberglass boat bottom
1 winning lottery ticket totaling $2!
1 brittle and broken non-disposable plastic cup

Friday, June 12, 2015

I was at the beach for a walk on Friday, June 12th and picked up some trash as I went.

4 plastic bottles
2 plastic cups
1 wet one
1 surf board leash
1 cleaning brush

Monday, June 15, 2015

On this morning, I patrolled the beach sans John.  The day was already bright when I arrived at 5:35AM and there were already quite a few people enjoying the start of this new day.  AHHH….the summer season has arrived.  Kids are out of school and families are enjoying their beach vacations.


Today my litter bag included:
15 cigarette butts
27 food wrappers and packaging pieces
11 plastic bottle caps
5 plastic lids
10 straws/stirrers
1 plastic spoon
2 plastic bottles
1 aluminum can
2 plastic ziploc bags
2 plastic cups
4 foam cups
2 tobacco packaging
1 balloon
1 firework
5 articles of clothing including 1 sock and 2 matching pairs of flip flops
12 toys
1 plastic zip tie
3 balloon strings
1 chap stic
4 wet ones
1 champagne cork
1 plastic hotel key
2 hair ties
1 pair of kids sunglasses
Foxy Cat joined me for the trash sorting today.  She is 8 years old.
I also found two seashell treasures.

Peace, love and clean oceans,
Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment