Thursday, August 18, 2011

week 16--Julie meets UNCW researcher in zone 5

Thank you Julie for picking up by the pier.  Your day was also the day John and I walk and we did not have time to pick up there that morning.  Shew!!!!  I feel so much better :-)


Ginger,
Forgot to send in my report for Monday Aug. 15.  I subbed in Zone 5.
Beautiful morning for a walk.  You could see the sun rising and the full moon was still up high in the sky.  Tide was low so there was plenty of room to walk on the hard sand (unlike Saturday night with the tide so high  you had to walk in the soft sand to get to the nest for excavation). 
Met UNCW researchers who had 3 nets near the inlet and told us what they were doing; catch, identify, measure and release.  They do this about 3 times a week.  I’m surprised this is the first time I’ve seen them.
Lots of early morning birds in the nesting area.
And the best part – very little trash.  I walked around under the pier to pick up enough to count as ¼ of a bag.
No tracks … the closest I found was the attached picture.
Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment