Sunday, August 28, 2011

Wrightsville Beach after Hurricane Irene

I have been on WB 3 times since Irene has visited and left her mark.

The first time was with Nancy to help check on the nest.  We found lots of trash that had been churned up by Irene.  Since the trashcans had been removed in preparation for the storm, we pulled the trash past the high tide line and left it for public works---it really was the best we could do.  Among our trash, was a tire (there were several), a crab pot that was about to be washed back into the surf, a wool blanket, a pair of reading glasses, a pair of sunglasses, 2 pair of snorkeling goggles, and about 4 pair of swimming goggles, and endless amounts of fishing line and rope entangled in the sea grass.

However, we saw lots of beautiful treasures on the shore line which reminded me of how wonderful and diverse Mother Nature really is.

The other times I visited the beach, I was with John and our friend, Jason.  I collected trash and shells each time.

Today, I thanked the public works department for collecting all of the tires that were spit out by the Ocean (who can blame her---I would throw it up too!).  The back of the Public Works truck was full and overflowing with tires when I stopped to talk to them.  The two young men loading the tires expressed amazement at the amount of tires they had collected and stated they had only driven about half the beach so far.  I wish I had had my camera at the time, but I didn't.  You will just have to believe me when I say I don't know how they would have piled one more tire on the stack!  They were off to dump the load before returning to the beach.

Please enjoy some of our pics below.



























No comments:

Post a Comment