Monday, July 30, 2012

A pictorial reminder from Clem of why we "Keep It Clean"


Ginger, 2 full grocery bags* + large beach umbrella.  You may find the below of interest which I pulled off the web yesterday.  I had been a NOAA volunteer for 2 years, but my trips were offshore NC, not to Marine Sanctuary in NW Hawaii.  Then again, looking at the below, I’m not sure I would have wanted to go there.  The litter is not from people directly, but rather indirectly dumped on shore from ocean. Clem
 
*Numerous plastic bottles, large plastic vodka bottle, 5 large red plastic cups.
 
NOAA Ship Oscar Elton Sette arrived back in its homeport of Honolulu on Saturday after a month in Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument (NWHI). The team of 17 scientists collected nearly 50 metric tons of marine debris, which threatens monk seals, sea turtles and other marine life in the coral reef ecosystem, in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands (NWHI).

No comments:

Post a Comment